The American Military Museum has temporarily closed.
At this time, we do not have a projected date to re-open for business. We are in active negotiation with three organizations for a potential new site. We DO NOT intend to close forever; rather this is a temporary situation. The most unfortunate part is that the wonderful collection of incredible military uniforms, equipment, firearms and personal effects is not viewable at this time.
Many heartfelt thanks for your support over the years, and if you would like to continue to support the Museum, or if you have any thoughts for a new location for the Museum, please click on our "Contact Us" links above!
The American Military Museum offers a one-of-a-kind experience in military history!
Formerly located inside the Citadel Mall, the American Military Museum collection is filled with hundreds of fully-authentic uniforms, equipment, artifacts and weapons from military conflicts dating from the Revolutionary War through to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors will marvel at display cases filled with uniforms, headgear, military equipment, flags, medals and hundreds of military artifacts from the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. Among the highlights you'll see when you visit:
- An 1820 infantry bell crown shako - one of only three known to exist.
- An 1872 9th Cavalry dress blue uniform from the famed Buffalo Soldiers. It is thought to be the only one in the country.
- Gen. George Patton's deceptive 14th Army patch and 16 "phantom division" patches designed to misdirect the German defense of the Normandy invasion.
- German WWI and WWII uniforms and weaponry, a variety of female military uniforms and many other unique displays such as our collection of hundreds of military miniatures and toy soldiers and more..
- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's 5-star rank insignia.
- The Purple Heart Memorial Chapel featuring a custom-made stained glass panel of the Purple Heart Medal created by local Charleston artisan Mike Hiester of Blue Heron Glass.