The American Military Museum IS RELOCATING and will be closed for business effective May 23, 2016. In ongoing efforts to revitalize West Ashley, the Citadel Mall is poised to sign a 'major national retailer', and the suite occupied by the Museum in Citadel Mall is in scope to be renovated, effectively forcing us to move. We have no immediate plans to re-open for business due to the lack of time afforded us to secure a new home. Many heartfelt thanks for your support over the years, and if you would like to continue to support the Museum, please click on our "Contact Us" links above!
The American Military Museum offers a one-of-a-kind experience in military history!
Now located inside the Citadel Mall in the Dillard's wing adjacent to the Charleston Area Model Railroad Club, the American Military Museum is filled with hundreds of fully-authentic uniforms, equipment, artifacts and weapons from military conflicts dating from the Revolutionary War through to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors will marvel at display cases filled with uniforms, headgear, military equipment, flags, medals and hundreds of military artifacts from the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. Among the highlights you'll see when you visit:
- An 1820 infantry bell crown shako - one of only three known to exist.
- An 1872 9th Cavalry dress blue uniform from the famed Buffalo Soldiers. It is thought to be the only one in the country.
- Gen. George Patton's deceptive 14th Army patch and 16 "phantom division" patches designed to misdirect the German defense of the Normandy invasion.
- German WWI and WWII uniforms and weaponry, a variety of female military uniforms and many other unique displays such as our collection of hundreds of military miniatures and toy soldiers and more..
- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's 5-star rank insignia.
- The Purple Heart Memorial Chapel featuring a custom-made stained glass panel of the Purple Heart Medal created by local Charleston artisan Mike Hiester of Blue Heron Glass.